There were lots of unusual noises coming out of our Head Start Headquarters this week, including sheep, cow's sirens, birds. Why was that?? Well we were looking at the children's ability to relate a sound to a picture, object or letter. This is called auditory association and is really useful as they learn letter sounds, blends and words.
You can continue your child's learning at home by:
- talking to your child about the sounds that you hear when you are out and about
- playing lots of noise games with animals or cars
- choose books that include a sound panel
- as your child gets older start to introduce the letter sound along side the letter
- play eye spy using letters or letter sounds
Cheers from the Head Start Team